June 4, 2011

what if?

As my 2 year old was finishing his bath, I noticed something that gave me an idea. Two of our bath sponges are slightly different shades yellow. 'That's odd,' I thought. 'Why aren't they the same color?' I realized that although the yellow bath sponge is pretty much a staple of the American bathroom, these sponges are, of course, probably not that color yellow to begin with.

It made me wonder – what would the world look like without dyes? So much of what we interact with during the day has been artificially colored as part of its production – food, drinks, clothing, cars, buildings, etc.

Now, I don't have anything against process dyes, but it just made me curious – what would the world look like if everything retained its natural color?

Hmm...I think I'm going to do some research on this.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Without dyes, a lot of the food we eat would look rather unappetizing! I get the feeling we would be seeing a lot more grays, blacks and whites around us.