June 7, 2011

photoshop tip: subtlety

This is a tip for using Photoshop, specifically regarding the use of layer effects like drop shadows, bevels, and gradient fills.

First, a video.



Now, I had no problem with Woody's logo, but we can all agree that Buzz's looks just a tad more polished.

So here's how to do that when you're using photoshop effects. For the example, I'll use a logo I just designed for a friend's video production company.

The name of the company is Mango Films. I started off by choosing a font for the logo, in this case ITC Century. Normally I like to stick to a pretty simple, unadorned approach to logo creation, but in this case (with a name like Mango, and the fact that it's a film production company and they wanted something a little more fun) I decided to bring it into Photoshop to add some character and some depth.



Once in Photoshop, I start adding layer effects. There are a lot of options to choose from here, and even more variables inside each choice – it's easy to get a little lost. The best (and perhaps only) way to learn what every little thing does is to play with it! Otherwise, we might just slap a few effects on there and end up with something like this: (Click to enlarge)



I like the font, but you can see that the effects are getting a little messy. The gradient is too bright, the bevel too pronounced, and the shadow too dark.

So we start to scale back. For starters, when using drop shadows, stick to about 20% opacity. This lets the shadow take a back seat to the actual object – it's there, but you barely notice it.

For the gradient, I decided to grab the texture from a photo of an actual mango – this adds realism and character. I also decided to add a silvery, chrome-ish gradient to "films" to give the illusion of metal.

For the bevel, take a minute to play with the different curve presets. I ended up choosing "Ring" and then turning the opacity down on the shadows – this gives the letters a glossy, silver-lining kind of effect.

I also added a low-opacity inner shadow (color set to white) and equally low opacity "Satin" effect, with the "Distance" setting increased.

The final product: (Click to enlarge!)



Looks nice, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that turned out great! You are good at what you do.

Unknown said...

Could use a lens flare...